Saturday, March 1, 2008

#5 of F451

Finally! The FIFTH post!!!
the SECOND TO LAST post!!! :D

Topic : Passage

"It was a pleasure to burn.
It was a special pleasure to see things eaten, to see things blackend and changed. With the brass nozzle in his fists, with this great python spitting its venomous kerosene upon the world, the blood pounded in his head, and his hands were the hands of some amazing conductor playing all the symphonies of blazing and burning to bring down the tatters and charcoal ruins of history. With his symbolic helmet numbered 451 on his stolid head, and his eyes all orange flame with the thought of what came next, he flicked the ignither and the house jumped up in a gorging fire that burned the evening sky red and yellow and black. He strode in a swarm of fireflies. He wanted above all, like the old joke, to shove a marshmellow on a stick in the furnace, while the flapping pigeon-winged books died on the porch and lawn of the house. While the books went up in sparkling whirls and blew away on a wind turned dark with burning.
Montage grinned the fierce grin of all men singed and driven back by flame."
-pg.3-4 paragraph 1&2

This is a passage that I picked out. I picked this because there were so many to choose from, so many that were thoughtful and intriguing. I couldn't choose, so I decided to go with a classic; the beginning, first page of the book. I think this passage is significant because it's what started me in reading this book. After I finished the book and I went back to read the first page, I could compare Montag from how he was in the beginning and how he changed in the end.
To describe this passage, it's an excellent first page of a book. It totally grabs the reader's attention, in a bewildered way. When I read the first line, I was like "What?! Who likes to burn stuff?!" And it uses so many descriptive words and phrases, such as, "..great python spitting its venomous kerosene upon the world." or, "..the house jumped up in a gorging fire that burned the evening sky red and yellow and black." They're very powerful words and phrases and totally captured my attention; I couldn't resist going on. However, I wonder why the author emphasized "change"? What is so important about "change"?
This passage is significant because, as I said earlier, you can see how much Montage changed. In this passage, he's one of the 'dumb' citizens of his world. He never really thinks why he's burning houses and books, he just did it because it gave him pleasure. I compared it to what he became of at the end, and he's a much thoughtful man who does everything for a purpose. He finally has a purpose for living! :)
Anyhow, I really love this passage because of all the amazing words the author uses, and when I look back on it, I can kind of see why this book seemed fun to some people. And the book makes a little more sense, now that I read the first part twice ;)

1 comments:

Stacy Park said...

I totally agree with you suzie!
It sure made me curious about that passage. At first, I thought Montag was dying or something which I later figure it out that it wasn't^^. I also could see that Montag did really 'change' of how he thinks about his job, reading about books, and about people. It was impressive that you actually compared the difference of how Montag's attitude changed between beginning of the book and the end of the book. Anyways, the passage you have chosen was the part that made me engage to the book when I first had to choose which book I had to read! Very good Job^^